Monica, Tamara, Mary Ann & Paul at Breathe for Soles
My Karma Yoga (Seva) – Giving Back
I’ve assisted and organized charity events for local and national organizations, and it is a pleasure to give back to those in need. Recipients included Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, American Cancer Society, Alzheimer’s Association, Temple Beth Orr Rabbi Gross Food Closet, Junior Achievement, FLIPANY, H.O.P.E. Club, Make a Wish Foundation, Unicorn Children’s Foundation, In Jacob’s Shoes, and local public school teachers and students.
Charity Events I Lead:
- Donation Yoga Class. October 28, 2016. Taught a free yoga class to the teachers of a Broward County school.
- Mitzvah Day Yoga Class. February 28, 2016. Taught a yoga class at Temple Beth Orr, raising $160 for the Rabbi Gross Food Closet
- Relay for Life of Parkland. March 25, 2011. Fundraising walk for the American Cancer Society. Raised over $400 for cancer research.
- Yoga at Temple Beth Orr, 2009 – 2012. Weekly yoga class to help Temple Beth Orr Sisterhood and the Rabbi Gross Food Closet
- Kid Yoga in School – From 2007 – 2011, donated a weekly kid yoga class to a K-1 combined class at a Broward public school.
- Teen Yoga – In 2006, donated six yoga classes to teenage girls in group foster care.
- YogaDayUSA – From 2006 – 2010, organized and taught an annual free outdoor yoga class, inspired by the Yoga Alliance®
Charity Events I Assisted:
- Breathe for Alzheimer’s. October 15, 2016. Assisted Mary Ann Morgan-Fried with a yoga fundraiser at Crunch Fitness, Parkland.
- Breathe for Soles. Assisted Mary Ann Morgan-Fried with a yoga and live music fundraising event five years in a row– January 14, 2017, January 9, 2016, January 27, 2015, May 10, 2014 and May 11, 2013. Raised $2130 in 2016 and $1700 in 2013. Benefiting In Jacob’s Shoes.
- Breathe for Autism. Assisted Mary Ann Morgan-Fried with a yoga and live music fundraising event three years in a row– April 13, 2014, April 6, 2013 and May 5, 2012. The first event raised $1500 and the second raised $1650. Benefiting the Unicorn Children’s Foundation.
- Yoga Wave. Thursday, January 23, 2014. At Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Coral Springs, 1600+ students came out for the “Yoga Wave” to honor Bailey Leal and to raise money for a playground for special-needs students. I helped students on the 25 yard line practice sun salutations and other yoga postures.
- Healthy Hips. Happy Hips. Saturday, November 16, 2013. Assisted Kim Scharf with workshop that raised $595 for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.
- Yogathon for H.O.P.E. in loving memory of Bailey Leal, Sunday, September 8, 2013. HOPE stands for “Helping Overcome Problems Effectively.” Their mission is to prevent suicide through education, support, advocacy and research. Over 350 people attended and $6,000 was raised. I assisted all hatha flow classes in the main room and led a healing, sound therapy and meditation session at the end.
- Yoga with the H.O.P.E. Club. Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Coral Springs. Complimentary yoga class for students and their club adviser to learn stress-relieving techniques.
- South Florida Kids Yoga Party. March 15, 2011. Assisted two Kids Yoga classes. Proceeds benefited the South Florida Make a Wish Foundation.
- Run for Our Future. June 2009. Sunset Yoga / 5K Run / Summer Solstice Celebration for Junior Achievement of South Florida, Inc. and FLIPANY (Florida Introduces Physical Activity and Nutrition to Youth). Donated yoga in advance and assisted on event day.