What is a Chakra?
Chakra is pronounced /cha-cruh/ (like chocolate). It’s Sanskrit for “energy wheel.” Humans have seven major chakras that run the length of the spine. The chakras correspond to major nerve bundles, endocrine glands, organs and body parts. These energy wheels are useful in Reiki to determine the physical and emotional health of our body and spirit. With a pendulum, we can see which chakras are open (optimal health), partially blocked and closed.
Chakra Videos – Chakra balancing & understanding
- Crown chakra (Sahasrara)- Spirituality. represented by white or magenta, located above the head to include brain and pituitary gland (master gland, growth, reproduction, metabolism, skin pigment, stimulating thyroid and adrenals). Supports connection to the Universe, God or the Divine.
- Brow chakra (Ajna) – Fantasy. Represented by purple, located in between eyebrows, including eyes, ears, nose and pineal gland (light meter, daily rhythms). Supports perception and intuition.
- Throat chakra (Vishuddah) – Conversation. Represented by blue, located at throat, including jaw, neck, shoulders, mouth and thyroid gland (temperature, energy, sleep, immune system regulation). Supports healthy communication.
- Heart chakra (Anahata) – Relationships. Represented by green, located in the chest, including heart, lungs, ribs, arms, hands, upper back, respiratory system and thymus gland (T-cells, immune system response). Supports healthy relationships.
- Solar Plexis chakra (Manipura) – Activity. Represented by yellow, located above the navel / below the sternum to include stomach, liver, pancreas, gall bladder and digestion. Supports metabolism, self-confidence and energy.
- Sacral chakra (Svadhisthana) – Emotions & Sexuality. Represented by orange, located in the pelvis, hips and low back, reproductive organs, bladder, kidneys, urinary tract, womb, ovaries, testicles and genitals. Supports healthy emotions, sexuality and creativity.
- Root chakra (Muladhara) – Safety. Represented by red, located at pelvic floor, includes feet, knees, legs and adrenal glands (fight or flight response). Supports foundation and grounding.
Animals also have major chakras and can receive Reiki energy healing.